Do I need an appointment?
Yes! Private appointments ensure that each bride and her guests have ample time to browse the selections. We book appointments by phone and email. During our busy winter season, Saturday appointments typically book up two to three weeks in advance, so if you have a preferred weekend to shop, call early! We schedule appointments Wednesday - Sunday. Our space is limited and is best explored by small parties. If you require special assistance and/or are shopping with a large group, please do call ahead. Our knowledgable English Dept. staff can guide you through our collections and answer any questions you might have.
Can you tell me about your dresses?
The majority of our dresses are made to order by designer-owned, independent companies. We strive to represent designers who make their products in the USA from high quality silks and other natural materials. While most of our collection is made to order designer dresses, we also have a small collection of carefully chosen vintage gowns, as well as discontinued designer dresses. These dresses are one-of-a-kind and available to buy directly off the rack.
do you carry complete collections by each designer?
if only we could! our designers have large collections that evolve from season to season. we make our sample selections from each designer according to styles, fabrics and colors we believe best represent the collection.
how long does it take to order a dress?
each designer has their own production schedule, but the typical time frame is about three to five months. budget a month or so for alterations - our dresses are made to standard sizes, not to measure, so some tailoring is to be expected. most of our designers can honor a rush order for a fee. ask us for more information if you are on a deadline.
Can I buy a dress off the rack?
We are primarily a special order boutique, which means that most of what we carry are floor sample gowns in sample sizes. A bride tries on a sample and then places an order for the gown in her own size. In cases when there is not a sufficient amount of time to order, we can sometimes sell our sample gowns off the rack. We also have a small selection of
I am a bride looking for a unique wedding dress for less than $1500. Should I come to The English Dept.?
Absolutely. We specialize in alternatives to the traditional bridal gown - lovely, reasonably priced wedding dresses made from high-quality silks and other natural materials. Our dresses range in price from $850 to $4800, and while most of our dresses are between $1800 and $2800, we do have a few dresses under $1500.
Tips for Visiting
- Trust us - it is best to try on dresses with just one or two guests (especially on the first round). If you plan to visit with a group larger than four, please let us know so that we can make special arrangements. We have limited seating and the shop can quickly feel crowded.
- Travel light - many of our dresses are made from delicate silks, which can be damaged by makeup and jewelry.
- Our shop is not appropriate for babies or small children. We are unable to accommodate strollers and worry that heavy mirrors, scissors and pins are in easy reach.
- Please no food or drink. We recommend champagne at Gruner or a mimosa at Tasty N Alder after your visit.
- In many cases, you may be sharing our shop with another bride and her party. This makes for a fun atmosphere, but if you prefer to have the shop to yourself, please call us and we will do our best to accommodate.
- We love brides who are on time for appointments! If you find you are running more than 10 minutes late - or early - please call to let us know. We want to make sure you (and the brides before and after you) have a great experience and an adequate amount of time.